Teacher of the Year
Each year WC teachers have been nominated by other staff members, students or parents to become the Teacher of the Year for the district. This year the designated area for teacher nominations are teachers in specialty areas in the district. This will include art, music, PE, technology integrationist, library, counselor, special education, Title I, or speech teacher. Students, former students, parents, colleagues, administrators, or members of the general public may also nominate teachers.
The Selection Process
The Teacher of the Year designation will alternate yearly between the following categories of teachers:
2021-2022 Secondary Teacher Grades 6-12
2022-2023 Teacher in a Specialty Area Grades EC-12
2020-2021 Elementary Teacher Grades JK-5
Students, former students, parents, colleagues, administrators, or members of the general public may nominate teachers. An impartial selection committee comprised of the former teacher of the year, one representative from each area (Elementary, Secondary, and Early
Childhood- grade 12 Specialty Teacher), an administrator, and the superintendent selects the Teacher of the Year from those nominated through a screening process using specific criteria.
This year’s Teacher of the Year will be announced on Friday, March 4th, 2022 at the WCEF event. The Teacher of the Year will receive gifts from the Hartford/Humboldt communities TBD.
The Nomination Process
Nomination forms are available on the school district website (www.westcentral.k12.sd.us) and all West Central school buildings, and the Administration Office. All nominations must be returned by February 11th, with all supporting materials and documentation, to
West Central Administration Office
Teacher of the Year Selection Committee
PO Box 730, 705 East Second Street
Hartford, SD 57033
The nominator must secure permission of the nominee to enter his/her name for consideration with the knowledge that finalists may be interviewed by members of the selection committee. The nominated teacher must also submit a portion of the nomination
form and meet the eligibility requirements outlined below.
If we receive one completed nomination form for a particular teacher, that teacher is considered “nominated” and will be considered for selection for Teacher of the Year. The number of nominations received for any teacher has little relevance in the selection process
with the first such nomination being considered the governing nomination. We prefer that nominations be typed or reproduced on a computer or word processor, but we will accept (without prejudice) neatly printed applications. Do not use more space than is permitted by the word limit. Please provide to the selection committee a thoroughly completed nomination packet; incomplete nominations will not be considered after the nomination deadline. Use specific examples whenever possible in describing the teacher’s contributions in
The Eligibility Requirements for Nominees
Teachers who may be nominated for the 2021-2022 Teacher of the Year award are Grade 6 through Grade 12 Secondary Classroom teachers.
Nominees must be contracted teachers with a minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in the West Central School District, and must be currently teaching in the West Central School District.
Additionally, the teacher should possess and demonstrate consistently:
○ The ability to create a love of learning in students of all abilities and backgrounds.
○ High expectations for all students.
○ A strong sense of values, integrity and professional ethics.
○ The ability to learn and experiment with new ideas in order to expand their professional knowledge base.
○ Strong human relations/strong cooperative skills with students, parents, colleagues, administration, and the West Central communities.
○ Knowledge of subject and curriculum content, of student growth and development, or instruction and assessment.
○ Clear understanding of their beliefs and practices.
○ Strong communication skills.
○ Energy, enthusiasm, a positive attitude, and dependability.
○ Commitment to community service.
Timeline for Teacher of the Year
• February 17, 2022 - Nominations due to the District Administration office
• February 23, 2022 - Selection Committee meets to review forms, observe classrooms (if needed), and select Teacher of the Year
• Week of February 28, 2022 - Teacher of the Year announced
• March 1, 2022 - Deadline for District to submit District TOY to State
• Regional application due to the state Office of Education March 30th, 2022